Tacking continues, and whenever we get a wind shift, that pushes us too far away from our target of Flores, Azores we tack.
We expect to be tacking for the next 48 hours at least, and then hopefully curve north on a port tack all the way to the Azores, hopefully ahead of the low pressure that is forecast to pass beneath the Azores.
The forecast is still changing day by day, and we currently plan to make landfall on either Monday 29th or Tuesday 30th May with around 550 miles left to sail.
We have had a few more container ship sightings, but more interestingly we probably came within 200 meters of a French sailing catamaran a few days ago, so close we could wave to each other 😀👋.
Podcasts have become our latest focus of entertainment during the mornings, and yesterday we also spent some time trying to get some great pictures of Portuguese man o’ wars. After managing to snap 20-30, here are two of the best.
The temperature continues to drop as we head north, and the days are noticing longer with the sun rising at 5 am and not setting until after 8 pm
One thing we really should have done before setting off was taking down the ensign we have on the mizzen topping lift, it really hasn’t enjoyed a month of sailing
We are still in contact with the other boats we have met along the way that all set off at roughly the same time.
One thing we like to do by email is riddles and quizzes.
Here is a copy of the music quiz we just created. We might put the answers in the next post!
The first 10 questions are lyrics, please guess the song name and artist!
- You were always on my mind, you were always on my mind
- Here’s a little song I wrote, you might want to sing it note for note
- And I would do anything for love, I’d run right into hell and back
- I tried so hard, and got so far, in the end, it doesn’t even matter
- You’re my doll, rock’n’roll, feel the glamour in pink, kiss me there, touch me there, hanky panky
- Are you ready, are you ready for this, are you hanging on the edge of your seat?
- I was scared of pretty girls, and starting conversations
- In one single moment your whole life can turn around, stand there for a minute staring straight into the ground
- I wanna love ya, and treat you right
- Instinctively you give to me, the love that I need, I cherish the moments with you
The second 10 questions are general music trivia
- How old was Michael Jackson his song ABC was released as part of the Jackson 5?
- How many times is the name “Jolene” sung in the song Jolene by Dolly Parton
- What are the first 17 words to the song Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen?
- What is the first instrument you hear in Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash?
- What was the first major sea shanty to become popular on TikTok? Bonus points if you know the original origin of the song.
- What year did daft punk disband/retire?
- Who is the lead singer in the band Gorillaz?
- What comedy band features in the song “Everything is Awesome” from The Lego Movie?
- Where does the artist “Tones” come from, who sang the recent-ish hit song “Dance Monkey”?
- Who sang the latest James Bond theme song? What song? And what film?